The University of Dodoma was formally established in March 2007 following the signing of the charter by the president of United Republic of Tanzania. The first academic programmes commenced in September 2007.
The University has been designed on a campus college mode each of which will be semi autonomous. In its structure, the university has six colleges. These are:
- College of Education
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- College of Informatics and Virtual Education
- College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
- College of Health and Allied Sciences
- College of Earth Sciences
UDOM initially started with four schools, namely Education, Humanities, Social Sciences and informatics. Currently six colleges are Operational. These are College of Education, College of Humanities and Social Sciences, College of Informatics and Virtual Education, College of Earth Sciences, College of Natural and mathematical Sciences and the College of Health Sciences.